Review Huey Lewis and the News- Sports (1986) *** 1/2

album review

Catfish

Reaction score
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Huey Lewis and the News- Sports (1986) *** 1/2

I know I haven't covered many what I would consider a commercial pop rock LP's through this process. 90% of them generally have one or two catchy hooked laden tunes, and aren't really worth the purchase price. Tonight's edition is an exception. Huey Lewis puts on a very entertaining show (saw them in '86 supporting this album), that decently follows the studio parameter, and in the case of this work.... terribly enjoyable. As a career, his stuff was kind of uneven. Early early stuff, lacking a tad on the songwriting skills, and the latter, too much reliance on the pop aspects of the business, and coming across as trying too hard to impress AM radio crowd.

Huey Lewis, the front man has a really good soulful voice that functions great as a fulcrum of attention. His band, and I say this with upmost respect are pretty much glorified session men. In fact, I challenge you to say by name, any player of any era of the group outside Lewis. With that and again with due respect collectively they do a good job, especially on this LP, by supporting the music product, hook and all.

And finally, more than anything, this group and album is just an enjoyable light listen that bares no need of over-analysis or over review. Just good fashioned mid 1980's fun.

Fun fact: As much as it fits the pop rock genre, it sure as hell was popular, and sold massively. Reached No. 1 as an LP. 4, YES 4 singles charted in the Top 10. A 5th charted in the Top 20. 7X platinum i.e. 7M sales. If you were around in '86, I will venture your have heard at least one from this. LP.

Side 1-
------------

The Heart of Rock and Roll- 1st of several hits on the LP. Ode to the institution of rock, that is kind of stale due to overplay. It's rock and soul theming and style kind of sets the stage for the entire work. An old time rock and roll dance piece complete with sax infusion. 6

Heart and Soul- Better effort that has an airy standard rock root, that moves to chorus with an almost hard rock./metal interlude. That alone gives the song a pretty unique touch, especially one that is pop oriented- 4

Bad is Bad- Not a fan of Doo Wop. Not filler, but not my cup of tea. 8

I Want a New Drug- Rollicking fun stuff here folks. Nice,very catchy bass line that runs well with other instrumentation, esp. ax. Try to keep your foot from moving on this one. I dare you. 1

Side 2-
-----------

Walking on a Thin Line- One of the exceptions that takes the off ramp of pop. A really good rock song in any form, or era. This is about as close as you are going to move Lewis toward AOR than you are ever going to get. 3

Finally Found a Home- The sleeper and not one of the 5 of 9 hits on the album. Can't really put a finger on why or what makes it so great. Maybe it has the right combo of hook/musician blend that I dig. 2

If this is It- Massive hit, but I hated it. The blend of sappy crooning, and doo wop is why. Enuff said. 9

You Crack Me Up- Sped up rocker that has some pop licks and runs, catchy enough to just making interesting enough. 5

Honky Tonk Blues- Throw back 50's rockabilly number. Not my interest, but I do have to give some props for authenticity to the genre. 7

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
Sports ranks high with me as albums released in 1983 and there were some great ones. And you are right. If you were listening to top 40 radio in America about that time, many of these songs were inescapable.

The Hank Williams song is a fresh departure and I love the tempo here. Of course most people know how good the four singles from the album are but
“Finally Found A Home” is another song that is surprisingly really good, though I guess it’s not altogether different from “Walking On A Thin Line”.
These guys had hooks and interesting music.