How do you organize your music collection?

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I did several searches using different key words and could not find a thread about organizing a music collection.

Everyone has a method for organizing and I am curious to hear how you organize your music collection.

I started out organizing my albums, cassettes and CD’s in alphabetical & chronological order by artist name.

Now that my collection has gotten very large, I switched to organizing by year first, then alphabetical by artist. Geewhiz that was a major job to reorganize….albums first, then cassettes and finally CD’s…..all in order by year of release and alphabetical by artist!

Now I am finding I need to reorganize my collection again. The main reason is because I have collected a lot of metal music and I really want to keep that genre in its own section. I will use same method of year of release then alphabetical by artist. Most of my metal collection is CD’s, so it shouldn’t be too time consuming to reorganize.

Delilah

Rock N Roll Princess 8-]]
Reaction score
@Magic---I like to keep all of my metal cds and vinyl together as well...I use to put my music in alphabetical order, but I stopped as my collection of music got bigger...I do have one shelf dedicated to my favorite band, Cradle Of Filth..I have all of their albums on CD and several of them on vinyl..I like to try and keep things in order cause it makes it easier to find the perfect cd in your collection that you want to listen too...8-]]

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
"I went to a record store that had a sign saying 'We specialize in hard to find albums'. Nothing was alphabetized." - Mitch Hedberg

I have mine arranged as such:
Vinyl:
The Beatles, arranged in order of release
Former Beatles, alphabetized by artist, in order of release
Motion Picture Soundtracks, alphabetized by title
General Music, alphabetized by artist, in of release
12" Singles, alphabetized by artists
Various Artists Compilations, alphabetized by artist
Comedy/Novelty, alphabetized by performer

Compact discs:
Special displays of The Beatles, no order
Special displays of former Beatles, no order
Special collections displays, no order
General music, alphabetized by artist, no order of release
Comedy/Novelty, alphabetized by performer
Special displays Motion Picture Soundtracks, various artists compilations, random cd-r
Special displays vinyl box sets various artist alphabetically random shelf levels
Special displays compact disc box sets various artists alphabetically random shelf levels

Cassettes, no order
45 rpm singles:
The Beatles by order of release
Former Beatles by order of release
General music, alphabetized by artist

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
In Alphabetical order and in chronological order in year of release (if artist has multiple releases)
[Just checked] ~begins with ABC and ends with Warren Zeavon.

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
Some of it was alphabetical then I had water in the basement record room so it all got messed up....now its mostly by category: US rock/pop, Brit rock/pop, prog rock, jazz, folk rock, ambient/classical, etc....I also just know where certain lps are. I do keep multiple lps by bands together of course.

Gold Dust Woman

Reaction score
Everything now I listen to on the Spotify Platform and it is all on playlists. Not exactly my favorite way to listen, but certainly I can get the most quantity from it and many times I find stuff I really wasn't even looking for and I even enjoy it.

As for the vinyl and cd's I do have it is minimal. For one I don't really have the storage for it and the cost, especially for some of the vinyl can get expensive. So those are in a box and I really don't even listen to them.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrazynaEjm

Members online