Review Honeymoon Suite- The Big Prize (1985) *** 1/2

album review

Catfish

Reaction score
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Honeymoon Suite- The Big Prize- (1985) *** 1/2

Today's gem has kind of gotten lost in the obscurity of time. This is a band of no-names, both in band, and production. But for a few years these guys made some fine AOR stuff, that was not only solid musically for the genre, but had some of the best rock hooks of the mid 1980's. This was a time when Canada was adding a nice niche of listenable stuff outside a lot of the English Wuss crap that was permeating the radio at the time. Bands like Tragically Hip, April Wine, and Loverboy were nice adds to Rock and Roll History, though most of us would be hard pressed to remember any of them in a random manner.

Yes,, this is a band of unknowns, but collectively, they operated well a sum of the parts. No doubt, by the mid 80's the industry may have been suffering the Flock of Seagulls Syndrome, and decent music pretty rare at the time, but a few gems like this got through. Not saying this album is filler free, but a better part than half is damned good. In fact, I'd put the 3 best on this LP up against pretty much anything else that year. And honestly if you lived during this time period, I'll bet you'll remember some of these tunes, but not the names.

Fun Fact: I mentioned that this was an album/band of unknowns, but listen to All Along You Knew. You might recognize the guy playing the Flute..... Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull.

Side 1-
------------

Bad Attitude- Rocking intro- Yep no glitz, no wizardry, just gut punching rock and roll, and no UK wuss band pretentiousness that was ubiquitous at the time. 1985 was not a lost cause. 2

Feel It Again- Wonderful blend alternation of melodic hook and rocking raucous fun. 1st 2 are a great start to a really good album. 3

Lost and Found- Synth focused standard fare, not filler, but not one of the better efforts 7

What Does It Take- Like pretty much everyone in the era, some obligatory ballads had to be added. Harkens some to UK Wuss stuff. No thanks. 9

One By One- Not saying this is a plagiarized Bon Jovi tune, but swiping from one of my least favorite rockers is not a vehicle of endearment. Yeah its Filler. 10

Side 2-
---------

Wounded- Another one that has kind of a Bon Jovi feel to it. With a little better result 5

Words In the Wind- Best on the LP. Just the perfect mix of melodic layering chaos that gives this tune a unique zeal of mix and feel of hook and improv. Best guitar solos on the LP, if you are really into that. 1

All Along You Knew- Perfect marriage of new and old at the time. Really dig the Ian Anderson Flute infusion. Kind of like Bon Jovi meets Jethro Tull 4

Once The Feeling- Another strong effort in what is showing to be a nicely consistent LP. 6

Take My Hand- Sadly the LP reverts to English Wussery at the end. Forgettable Ballad, and too bad they concluded in this manner. 8

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I remember Honeymoon Suite. I have the S/T debut but haven’t listened to it for probably 20 years.

TageRyche

Reaction score
This is an absolute masterpiece of AOR type rock and roll. Definitely one of my favorites. I have their first three albums and then I have their Clifton Hill album as well. I wrote an article about the band's Racing After Midnight album back in 2017.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juliescott

Members online