*Group Discussion *

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
I've been listening to the whole of Thick As A Brick and I remember at the time Anderson declared this release as a criticism of prog rock..... yet it turned out as a homage. But I can't help considering this first piece is jazz ~ am I mistaken?
I'd appreciate some help and opines.
Regards, Ian.

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
Definitely prog rock but there are some 'jazzy' bits as there often are in prog rock.
I also think it was satire and a parody of 'prog rock' and 'concept' albums, but in the end he ended up creating a fan favorite of 'prog rock'.
An interesting analysis of the lp https://thegemsbok.com/art-reviews-and-articles/tuesday-tome-thick-brick-jethro-tull-irony/
2005 interview with Anderson:
"In my mind when it came to writing the next album, Thick as a Brick, was done very much in the sense of: ‘Whuh, if they thought Aqualung was a concept album, Oh! Okay, we’ll show you a concept album.’ And it was done as a kind of spoof, a send-up, of the concept album genre."

I always felt he should have had 4 long songs on his 'concept' rather than just 2 tracks. I always lose interest about half way through each track.....and I'm a Tull fan btw.

Gold Dust Woman

Reaction score
I agree with @dr wu , this is definitely progressive rock. I think in the beginning of the song when the piano comes in is a jazz influence to the song and also later in the song when the song becomes more intense when the piano comes in there are more elements of jazz added to the song, but mostly the song is progressive rock.

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
Since we are on Tull.....I always preferred Stand Up, Benefit, and Aqualung as well as a few later ones.....Ian Anderson was at his best when writing shorter songs with a comment or observation on life and/or people.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrazynaEjm

Members online