Great Rock Classics of Our Time

magicmoments

Reaction score
Really love this Rod Stewart Album. 14 covers of some classic songs. Incl "Have You Ever Seen the Rain", "It's a Heartache", "Father and Son" and, as they say, many more. Easy listening.

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
At first I thought you were referring to his lp from '69 called Rod Stewart Album but realized that was not a covers lp. The lp is actually called 'Still The Same...Great Rock Classics' (from 2006)
I enjoyed his first 3 or 4 lps and his work with The Faces....saw him on that tour in 1972 in Chicago . Deep Purple opened up for them.
Sadly that 'classics lp' didnt get great reviews. If u you like good rock try the first 3 Faces lps.
From the first when they were still called Small Faces. (The great Steve Marriot from The Small Faces founded HUmble Pie of course...another great rock band to listen to.
I think this lp First Step is some of the best rock Stewart ever did along with the Every Picture lp.

Last edited:

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
I listened to that album last week. His voice is understandably weak and I don’t imagine I will listen to it again.
I really like much of his earlier albums so I am a bit sad that I do not enjoy this album more.

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
I listened to that album last week. His voice is understandably weak and I don’t imagine I will listen to it again.
I really like much of his earlier albums so I am a bit sad that I do not enjoy this album more.
Weak? 'Understandably...?' Are we listening to the same lp? :oops:
It might be how it was mixed....Lane and Wood might have emphasized the music .
Stewart's work with the Faces was far more interesting than his later 'crooner lps' imho though I do think his early lps...first 4 or 5 (which were recorded around the same time more or less when he was with Beck then the Faces ) have good material.
just curious do you think is vocals on the earlier Jeff Beck lps are also weak?

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
It’s ok. We all have different opinions. As I said, his age, vocal quality, and his somewhat slower rhythm while recording this album is just not as enjoyable to me as his products recorded ten, twenty, thirty years earlier. We are all aging and changing.

I was on a Rod Stewart kick, listening to Gasoline Alley, An Old Raincoat Won’t Ever Let You Down, the Rock Album compilation. Rod seemed to always have fun and showed energy often in so much of his music. And then I listened to Still The Same…Great Rock Classics of Our Time. I just did not like what I was hearing while listening to this album. I shut it off. Good for him that at the time, he was still recording and seemingly selling records but I did not find it entertaining.

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
It’s ok. We all have different opinions. As I said, his age, vocal quality, and his somewhat slower rhythm while recording this album is just not as enjoyable to me as his products recorded ten, twenty, thirty years earlier. We are all aging and changing.

I was on a Rod Stewart kick, listening to Gasoline Alley, An Old Raincoat Won’t Ever Let You Down, the Rock Album compilation. Rod seemed to always have fun and showed energy often in so much of his music. And then I listened to Still The Same…Great Rock Classics of Our Time. I just did not like what I was hearing while listening to this album. I shut it off. Good for him that at the time, he was still recording and seemingly selling records but I did not find it entertaining.
You are referring to that 'great rock songs' lp and I was referring to Small Faces first lp with him.....in 1971...................ships that pass in the night....we were talking about 2 different albums.
I have never heard that later 'great songs' lp from 2006.
I also prefer the early stuff especially the Faces material.
:wtf:

Last edited:

Catfish

Reaction score
My first general post here, and I am seeing that I am among others, who take these reviews seriously. I have a few hundred I might add. (Gradually). :)

Any certain one, or band that anyone may be interested?

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
My first general post here, and I am seeing that I am among others, who take these reviews seriously. I have a few hundred I might add. (Gradually). :)

Any certain one, or band that anyone may be interested?
I tihink the OP was starting a thread specifically on a Rod Stewart lp covering his version of some classic rock tunes called 'Still the Same...Great Rock Classics'.
I think there might be a thread for actual 'great classic rock songs' of all time.
:think:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marcedw

Members online