Review Emerson Lake and Palmer- Tarkus (1971) ***

album review

Catfish

Reaction score
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Emerson Lake and Palmer- Tarkus (1971). ***

Today's installment is the best composition from the best composers of rock history. So why only 3 stars? Just because a piece of music is at its utter best at composition, does not necessarily mean, translate, and correlate 100% to a great listenable experience. The album Tarkus is exponentially complex versus most any rock album I have ever heard , and is one of those works that the enigmatic Keith Emerson basically did, because he could. With his well received and critically acclaimed debut album, Emerson went off the virtuositous rails, and made in history what may be the most "hookless" work before and anything after in rock history. Side 1, in one phrase can be described as an "epic exercise of Keith Emerson Self Indulgence". And as through out his entire career, Emerson pretty much didn't give a shit what anyone else thought. The better line share of Tarkus is conceptially driven, at least from my perspective, based on a listen, and visual of the album cover about some sci-fi Armadillo like contraption, reveling in its wares of war. A kind of musical massive mish mash that in some ways I think influenced Queen with Ogre Battle, and Rush with Bytor and the Snow Dog.

Fun Fact: Considering, as I menitoned, there was basically zero percent hook on this album, and one of the most radio unfriendly albums history. This album still charted in the Top 10 in the US, and No. 1 in the UK.

Listening to side one is an exhaustive matter. Emerson crazily over does the time and key changes that if my trained ear is hearing right, rifes extensively 10/8/...9/8 .... 7/8....down to 5/8. and reverses, in a manner that it amost seemed Keith was playing a game of musical parchessee. Where so many struggle with not only understanding compostion, creation, and execution, Emerson toyed with it, like a cat playing with a mouse, before killing it on the spot. ELP may not have been the greatest rock stars of all time, but I can say with some certainity, they were not only the most literate, but head and shoulder genius above any other. And in this vein, up there with likes of of the 18th and 19th century masters. And don't forget with the focus on Emerson, soometimes we lose site that he may have had one of the greatest supprting casts in rock history too. All 3 of these guys are at the top of their craft, The chaotic keyboard work weaves in and out into Lake led and well vocalized promenade like anthems that then blend into masterful, almost Gilmore like guitar work. But still the chaos, while musically fascinating, just doesn't fufill the prog satisfaction bug in me. Simply put, Keith Emerson pull more into style and pizazz than substance that is a good listen. This is the kind of album that in a college class in music composition you were forced to listen to for academic value. 1. 1, based on complexity and genius.

Side 2 is massiely different, and goes into differnt forays of styles, with mixed results.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeremy Bender- Barrell house 19th century like rinky tink piano. Weakest number on the LP. Seems Emerson did this on almost every album. Almost as a joke 7

Bitches Crystal - The only song that seemed to take or borrow from the Tarkus licks. Unique music box entry, transitions into a mostly Tarkus bedlam likely mix of crazy melodies and spashed keyboard runs. Wow. 3

The Only Way (Hymn) I have made no secret or mystery that my favorite instrument on earth is a large church organ. Fantastic, lovely, and expansive. This song was my first introduction to what the holocaust was in 1971, at age 13. As strange as it was conveyed. A lot of this harkens to a Bachian like music structure. I wish Keith Emerson would have done a lot more of these. 2

Infinite Space Space (Coonclusion) A piano piece in almost repet concetio fashion that gives the listener some improv like, almost jaszzish fodder that I guess was there to "conclude" or otherwise augment The Only Way- 5

A Time and a Place- The most standard as a rocker and a start that eventially spirals out of control into keyboard pandemonium. At times Emerson, seems to be intricately blending his melodic patterns into almost harmonies within harmonies. Not sure I am conveying that well enough, but........ Thinking this is a middle of the road ELP contribution, just gives you an idea of how massively talented these 3 were. 4

Are You Ready Eddy- Rockabilly number that allows Keith to play Jerrry Lee Lewis. Technically, this is fine from a musical perspective, but I doubt many paid $5 at the time to have ELP take them back to the 1950's for a rehash. At least not me. 6

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Although this is my personal favourite ELP album I have to say it is an acquired taste type of niche prog album.The chaotic nature of the song writing for some reason just really works for me here. lol
I understand your use of the word exhaustive because it really can be. It's one of those albums where I'd never suggest it to someone getting into Prog as a way to whet the palate.

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
The debut lp is still my favorite by far , though I do like 'Trilogy' and 'Brain Salad' as well.
I also enjoy the live 'Pictures'.
As fas as 'Tarkus' I think the title track is excellent though I would have ended the song after Lake's last vocal section...the last 3 minutes or so of music as a closing section dont add anything imho.
'Tarkus' the song itself is loved by most prog fans and even is regarded by some as the best long prog epic from those early days. Many others consider 'Close To The Edge' or 'Suppers Ready' , etc ... as the definitive prog epic...its all subjective in the end.
Side 2 of the Tarkus lp is not very interesting to me and I have never liked those 'beer hall' songs on there nor the ones placed on a few of the later lps either. No idea why they would want to ruin the mood of an intense keyboard based prog lp with song humor. While the other songs on side 2 are not that strong at least they aren't 'silly'.
I would always recommend the first ELP as the place to start....a beautiful and also powerful beginning to their career.
BTW,,,the first 4 ELP studio lps all obtained 4 star ratings on Prog Rock Archives with the first being the highest at 4.24

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerotas

Members online