Review Bruce Hornsby and the Range- The Way It Is (1986) ** 1/2

album review

Catfish

Reaction score
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Bruce Hornsby and the Range- The Way it Is (1986) ** 1/2

I haven't really been much of a fan through the years on soft easy listening rock. There were a few exceptions though. Today's review is one that has a nice easy vibe, but does have just that nice mix of hook, and melodic prowess to hit the target. It also has some very nice keyboard work, that eases into the music instead of dominating it. Hornsby is really good in this area.

It also doesn't hurt that Hornsby enlisted Huey Lewis' help. Lewis was in a mid 1980's creative zone, and a lot that he touched turned to gold. Incluing some of his production values on this particular CD. This musical space was also shared with Chrisotpher Cross who also made a fine album near the same time. In fact, I might cover this one in the near future.

A lot of folks my age at the time were liking this, because, if might be honest, many of us did not like the Hard Rock Hair Band era. There was little or no redeeming value to the Quiet Riot's, Poisons, of the timeframe. This was somewhat of a respite. Though it could be countered by some that the Grunge stuff coming in a few years really wasn't any better.

Hornsby, kind of qualifes as a one LP hit wonder. (Yes he did win the New Artist Grammy with this) He did have "Valley Road" on the second album, but that pretty much is the extent of this career. Seems the talent tap went dry. Since 1993, he has been in solo artist mode, but doesn't seem to be generating much interest.

So, without much more to add, this really isn't an album worthy of much analysis. To me, it is nice smooth piano-rock, kind in the same vein of Joel, but a little more contemporary. Just take the ride back to the mid 1980's and relax.

Fun Fact: At the end of his Range career he was in full collaborative mode with the Grateful Dead. Strange bedfellows, to say the least.

Track No.
-------------

1. On the Western Skyline- Album starts in a almost old Celtic like tone and mode. Very pleasant, and a strong start. 5

2. Every Little Kiss- Released as a single, but didn't seem to chart well. But not for me. This is the sleeper on the CD. This has some of the best guitar/keyboard mixing and fusion on it. Hornsby didn't do many bang the keyboard tunes, but his one really hits the heart with strong lyrical value. I was married by the time of this CD, but I know it would have been a "date" tape in the day. 3

3. Mandolin Rain- More of the excellence in the trenches of well crafted well written, and produced soft rock. This one has some of Hornsby's best vocal effort. 2

4. The Long Race- More of the same, in meter and style. Songwriting just isn't at the same level of the prior 2. 6

5. The Way it is- This beautiful tune is why I think Hornsby won his Grammy. He somehow configured his piano in a way that I don't how. Hard to explain, but it is something akin to what a piano would sound like analogously to a 12 string guitar. Hornsby does a nice almost improv like piano solo that runs in 3rds, syncs, skips, and still somehow remains between the lines of the music. Excellent 1

6. Down the Road Tonight- If this kind of sounds like a Huey Lewis song, it might be because not only did Lewis help produce, but he has a harmonica and back up vocal part in it. And thus, it is the 2nd most rocking tune on a non-rocking album. 4

7. The Wild Frontier- The most rocking one, forced sounding and awkward. BH should have stuck with the formula. 9

8. The River Runs Low- Like in many works, some artists allow fill to permeate at the end of the LP/CD. Bruce does his best Barry Manilow on this one. thud.gif 8

9. The Red Plains- Rehash. Same meter/licks, melodic line with a heavy chorus. Nope. 7

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrazynaEjm

Members online