Review Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band- Against the Wind (1980) **** 1/2

album review

Catfish

Reaction score
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band- Against the Wind. (1980) **** 1/2

I had friends in the day, who claimed Bob Seger was the one man wrecking crew who countered Disco as a happy warrior. Yes, there were others in that 1975-'80 timeframe that swiped some radio time from the clucthes of Disco Duck. But what was so amazing about Seger is and was his Everyman Detroit persona that not only won over the R & R die hards, there were other genre lovers who knew he was the embodiment of standard no frills, slap your face rock and roll.

Seger had a great cast of supporting characters that even out of the limelight, seemed to love sharing it with him. Seger had a very strong and consistent career, and sure wanted to share what is my favorite in his catalog. Seger was riding high with his previous two massive hits, Night Moves and Stranger in Town. This one might have turned of the casual listener a tad, due to less foot tapping, and more introspection. To me that is the charm of the LP. I truly enjoyed hearing what Bob Segerm the philospher had to say.

Though I might see this as their gem, there are more critically acclaimed LP's in the Seger discography. But the big deal with this album is that there is not one single bad track on the entire album. This IMO might be the best consistently good album in rock history. Absolutely No filler!!!! Themes of blantant bar room rocking to deep self reflection and thought hit the listener like a 2 X 4.

Fun Fact: Only Bob Seger Album to reach No. 1 in the charts.

Side 1
-----------

The Horizontal Bop- 1st Bar Boogie Boogie kind of rocker that harkens back to some of Seger's '60's sound. Not cerebral like other tunes on the LP, but great foot tapping stuff. 10

You'll Accompany Me- Big Hit charting #.14 nationally. Great Ballad, hitting on all cylinders around relational risk. Song of hope and love. Maybe the most souful voicing too 3

Her Strut- Hardest rocking tune on the album. Love the bass/ rhythm line on this one. Back to non-cerebral and bar room style Seeing the trend? I don't think Bob Seger meant for it to be an accident. 8

No Man's Land- My favorite song on the LP. Seger is a poet laureate in this tour de force of verbal imagery and metaphorical beauty of describing the difficulty of making life changing decisons. On Side 2- Fire Lake does the same exact thing around the topic of death. Both these sngs throw me into deep thought when I hear them. 1

Long Twin Silver Line- Back to Boogie-woogie. A Seger screaming tune kind of hinter to his early 70's stuff. You are through with side 1, and have already through a half an album knowing you are listening to an epic classic. 7

Side 2-
------------

Against the Wind- Title track, and maybe the most recognizable tune on the album. heartful reminisicing, and having to deal with adversity. Song charted #5. Not my favorite on then LP, but obviously super sound, solid nice tune- 5

Good For Me- Wow... Easy in my top 15 Seger picks- Soulful innovative approach bringing style of a black church choir. Powerful Love song to say the least. 4

Betty Lou's Getting Out Tonight- '50's style boogie that sounds like something Jerry Lee Lewis would croon. Mindless stuff, but who cares, it rocks. Again Seger keeps the listener on their toes by alternating the themes between feast for the mind and feet. This what helps makes this album special. 9

Fire Lake- Metaphorically painting a picture of death. Not sure Seger really intended Fire Lake to include the fire of hell. I sure don't want to play those 8's and Aces....... Great great tune. 2

Shining Bright- Seger ends the album on beatifully positive upbeat note. Maybe covering so much death and despair made him guilty.... 6

In any case, back in the day when you were young, the $6 bucks you spent on an album was a pretty expensive investment of a kid's entertainment $. This one did not disappoint

bf2ab0753b27410dac2748a1ad0b0fda.jpeg

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
A soild lp but imho Loser, Night Moves ,and Stranger are his best work...though for most I would recommend a greatest hits lp to get all the best tracks. He often would have several great songs on lps with the rest being just ok.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I love Bob Seger! My 1st love is Aerosmith, 2nd is Seger. I have nothing but good things to say of any album …from Ramblin’ Gamblin’ Man all the way through I Knew You When. However, if I were to rank all 18 albums, Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band would be his best efforts.

BTW, in college our “girl” anthem was Her Strut. :grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeev512

Staff online