Review April Wine- Power Play (1982) ***

album review

Catfish

Reaction score
Classic Rock Album of the Day- April Wine - Power Play (1982). ***

Hate to start on a sad note to start this review. Didn't realize until a few months ago that lead singer, lead guitar, and principle song writer of April Wine, Myles Goodwyn had passed away at age 75. This one really went under the radar. RIP. April Wine is a fantastic Canadian outfit that made 16 studio albums between 1971-2006. They pretty much were only a big deal in their own country, until about 1979, when they came out with their first great hit "Roller". From there, they made in my estimation 3 excellent albums that really elevated them in the AORisphere. Harder... Faster, Nature of the Beast, and Power Play. All were really good. All three were on almost level footing, and a wise investment of vinyl. All being near, equal, I defaulted to Power Play, because it was the only one of the three available in its entirety on YT.

April Wine easily should be in the all time top 10 in music from Canada, and the fact they had the persisitence and drive to last 7 albums before cracking the U.S. market says a lot I can't explain why, but the band did peak during these 3, and subsequent stuff in the mid 1980's onward, though not bad, never was able to recapture that magic. Was it the 4 year hiatus 1988-1992? Not sure how much was lineup changes were to writers block either. And since the creative center of the band was Goodwyn, maybe no one could pull up the slack.

One thing that kind of killed the popularity was that arena rock was slowly dying. But for those 3, they put together a strong effort. They were masters of power chording that from the reviewer's perspective is a long last art that defined an era. Band also does a good job of harmonies and unique licks to stay fresh and current in that dying age of AOR. Sadly, the multi (2/3) wailing and fighting axes were dropping like flies.. And finally I'd be amiss to give another big middle finger to the sham of rock and roll hall of fame in Cleveland. Not including April Wine to the rolls is a joke.

Fun Fact: Goodwyn was the only constant in April Wine, and the only member to appear in all their albums.

Side 1-
------------

Anything You Want, You Got It- Excellent start with a heavy piece that highlights some great fighting wailing guitar. 2

Enough is Enough- What a great song. Unique hooks that mixes well as melodic powerpunch. Has that almost '70's nostalgic feel that hits the mark. Best cut on the LP 1

If You See Kay- Van Halen had already played cute with For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge. I guess there is an appeal to teen guys on double entendre word play. Bluezy base not in the their best effort or music direction 8

What if We Fall in Love- Obligatory ballad. Not bad, or that good for that matter 6

Witing on a Miracle- Decent medium rocker that sounds like a blend of Bon Jovi and Rick Springfield. 4

Side 2-
-----------

Doin' It Right- Kind of a barrel house, rock-a-billy feel that does a decent job of off-genred fun. 3

A'int Got Your Love- Standard rocker that has some very intresting guitar mixing. Another one that harkens niceley to early '70's style. 5

Blood Money- Not the best effort from the group songwriting or performance. In fact its pretty bad. 9

Tell Me Why- Arghhhhh!!!. Gawd awful Beatles cover. It's bad enough trying to do a cover from one of the all time greats, but when you suck at it, it makes it that much more cringe worthy- 10

Runners in the Night- Another rather weak effort that I guess tries to emulate Hendrix/ Trower, ....nope. 7

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
April Wine was overall a bit average I thought. I am siding with the popular vote here. Their songs that saw rotation on terrestrial radio in the 70’s and 80’s were somehow mostly the only songs worth listening to. I have condensed four of their studio albums to a “best of” compilation and very, very rarely do I need to listen to the deep tracks from any of those albums. I mean, I do really like all their songs that once graced album oriented rock radio stations but much of their other stuff is just not good for one reason or another. This album included. “Enough Is Enough” was a solid radio hit. “Doin It Right” is ok. But much of the rest of the album just leaves me unsatisfied. So it’s cut up and pieces are pasted on a playlist with three or four other songs from some of their other incomplete albums and that’s that.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrazynaEjm

Members online