15 Musicians Who Almost Joined The Rolling Stones

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Thanks Connie, a bit of fact stretching though, many of those mentioned merely laid down guitar work for 'Black And Blue'... Ronnie was in the frame at Musicland in Germany in '74....final song learning took place in Montauk (memory motel bar is still there!)

E-Z

Reaction score
I have read a number of articles about Rory Gallagher possibly joining the Stones back in 1975 and apparently he was asked by the Stones (Ian Stewart I believe) if he would like to meet the band and he 'jammed' with them for two days although it said that Keith wasn't involved in these jams as he was 'not feeling well' (maybe he had a slight cold ha ha) and was laying in bed up stairs during the time Rory was down stairs in the studio jamming with Charlie, Bill & Mick. Apparently Mick said to Rory that he better talk with Keith first before any firm decision would be made about him joining the band but Keith was 'totally gone' and time was getting on cos Rory and his band had gigs lined up in Japan so Rory 'split' for Japan and that was the end of it. Further more to this episode about Rory joining the Stones most rock critics claim the Rory was 'to good' a guitarist to be just standing on stage backing Keith's guitar riffs although one article that I read in recent times claimed that both Rory & Keith were a match "made in heaven" although I am not sure about that plus Rory wasn't into the excesses of the "rock & roll lifestyle" unlike some others in the band excluding both Charlie & Bill.

Also a number of years ago I read that 'maybe' while jamming with the Stones (excluding Keith) Rory started playing the guitar riff to 'Miss You' although Rory isn't acknowledged anywhere on the track or in any of the bands history in any books or articles written about the band regarding the song Miss You. Donal Gallagher Rory's brother has said that he would love to hear the tapes that were made during the time that Rory was jamming with the Stones but said that it would never happen.

Just read only a couple of days ago that Ritchie Blackmore of Deep Purple & Rainbow is quoted as saying that the Rolling Stones are a "bunch of idiots" and that he didn't like Mick Jagger either.

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marcedw

Members online